Basilica of St. Josaphat – Interior RestorationMilwaukee, Wisconsin
Original Architect: Erhard Brielmaier
- Painting and Decorating Contractors of America “Picture it Painted Professionally” Award
- Classical America Arthur Ross Stewardship Award of Restoration
- Historic Milwaukee Preservation Award
- Milwaukee Historic Preservation Committee Preservation Award
- State Historical Society of Wisconsin Historic Preservation Certificate of Commendation
Restoring the Past
From the original decoration of the interior in 1926 to recently commissioned new stained-glass designs, Conrad Schmitt Studios has completed more than 50 individual projects at the Basilica of St. Josaphat over the course of nearly a century.
In 1996, CSS completed an extensive restoration of the interior, returning the aging, yet magnificent space to its original grandeur. During the project planning phases, five conservators spent 30 days investigating and documenting the historic finishes. Once Design Development was complete, 1,100 frames of scaffolding were erected and the interior restoration began. Studio artists used decorative techniques throughout the space, including gilding, glazing, marbleizing, stenciling, and trompe l’oeil painting. The project scope also included conservation of murals by noted Italian artist Gonippo Raggi and restoration of the Stations of the Cross, baldacchino, and statuary throughout the Basilica.
CSS has since continued to serve the Basilica through conservation, restoration and new design. Recent projects have included statue reconstruction, new stained-glass window design, ornamental plaster repair, and mural conservation.