Church of the AssumptionSt. Paul, Minnesota
The Church of the Assumption has been a pillar of the Catholic community in St. Paul since its construction in 1871. Much of the decoration in this Romanesque building remains faithful to the original designs, including the elegant stonework, detailed stenciling, and beautiful murals. Conrad Schmitt Studios assisted with the conservation of the stencils and artwork in 1988. Nearly 30 years later, the parish again reached out to CSS for assistance with the revitalizing the church interior.
In order to accommodate parish budgetary and scheduling needs, the project was completed in two phases. During each phase, onsite mock-ups of treatments and finishes were produced and reviewed to ensure seamless execution of the designs. Stations of the Cross and statuary were transported to CSS for restoration and were re-installed following the restoration. Woodgraining, mural restoration, stencils, gilding, glazing and polychrome painting have revived the church interior and enhanced the historic architecture.